CALL FOR ART
Seeking contemporary artwork that addresses ideas surrounding the occult and realms of unknowing, the metaphysical and the liminal.
DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS: FEBRUARY 17th, 2013
About the Exhibition:
Selected artworks will be part of an exhibition at Space 4 Art in San Diego to run from April 27th to May 25th. This exhibition is curated by Kristen Gallerneaux and Vabianna Santos. Artists working in all mediums and at all stages of their careers are encouraged to apply. We are especially interested in including artists who submit multiple works relating to the theme.
About the Theme:
We are interested in investigating the ability of visual art, along with many other esoteric practices to address the anomalous, the arcane, the ritualistic and the extraordinary.
The following is a partial list of possible themes for artworks:
- The reimagining of the occult in relation to our contemporary social/ cultural climate and popular culture
- Concretizing numinous & unknowable experience
- Visualizing the invisible, tactile explorations of the hidden or esoteric
- How the formation of communications networks via technology coincides and reciprocates in the spiritual world and belief
- The body as a site of ritual transmission in alignment with other forces, and material accoutrements (such as sacred/ fetishized objects)
- Material productions that are anomalous in nature, or use materials that are "unstable, or "charged"
- Artworks informed by the symbolism / visual traditions of particular occult movements
- Humorous or traumatic qualities of the paranormal or supernatural
- The abject in the occult and paranormal history
- Liminal states and adolescence, teenage ritual
- The artist as medium, nexus or receptor vs. the artist as fraud in relation to themes of skepticism, acknowledgement, “proof”
Please submit up to 10 images of artwork and/or a link to 5 min of video to S4A.Occult@gmail.com.
Images should be in jpg format at 300dpi, and approximately 4”x6”.
Please label image files clearly and include a separate document with title, date, medium and dimensions. If any special accommodations for the work are needed (durational/ installation concerns etc.) please state these here.
Also include a short artist statement addressing both your practice and the specific works included (maximum 300 words), as well as a short bio (maximum 200 words).
Selected artists will be contacted the week of March 1st. Work must be delivered/ shipped to Space4Art by April 18th.
For more information about Space 4 Art check out: sdspace4art.org
Contact Kristen Gallerneaux and Vabianna Santos at S4A.Occult@gmail.com with any questions.