Located in the East Village of San Diego, Space 4 Art’s three warehouses contain 32 artist studios, 5 live/work artist studios, two-room exhibition gallery, outdoor performance stage and classroom. Since 2010, regional artists exploring their craft have utilized the space to share their creative ideas and artworks.
Provide a creative center where artists live, work, and engage with the greater San Diego community in an innovative, educational, and affordable environment. We believe that enabling artists, by providing studios and professional resources, is an essential factor in increasing the quality of life within every community.
Studios – there are a range of options to suit the individual needs of a diverse range of artists, with an emphasis on live/work.
Gallery Space – we host six major exhibitions a year, and exhibit artists from within our community and abroad.
Fabrication Facilities – we house a wood shop, metal shop, and an outdoor work space.
Educational Facilities – art serves as a foundation for learning. Our classroom is a space where artists and organizations can come together to engage with the community.
Programming Space – both indoor and outdoor spaces are available for exhibiting a wide range of performing arts, including dance, theater, music, and spoken word.
Currently, Space 4 Art is pursuing the construction of a permanent facility that will allow us to fulfill our mission.
Programming efforts to support the mission include:
- Encourage, support and facilitate development of affordable spaces for artists to live and work
- Assist emerging artists with skill development to create viable art careers
- Offer affordable performance and exhibition space for artistic expression
- Share, investigate, create and access arts-based STEM Education for young adults
- Create a permanent facility and community to support experimental, fringe and new artworks and artists
- We believe in synergy — Artists from disparate backgrounds working together in proximity inspire each other.
- We believe in the artistic dividend — Arts are an essential element of the cultural economy that attract creative thinkers from other fields to our city.
- We believe in the transformative power of Art — Art can lead to healthy growth in marginalized communities
- We believe in cultural diversity — Arts can fortify existing communities and traditional cultures
- We believe in empowerment — Community design/build projects give artists control and connect them to their creations