Mission > Programming > Values
Located in the East Village of San Diego, Space 4 Art’s three warehouses contain 32 artist studios, 5 live/work artist studios, two-room exhibition gallery, outdoor performance stage and classroom. Since 2010, regional artists exploring their craft have utilized the space to share their creative ideas and artworks.
Our mission is to support creative centers where artists live, work and interact with their community in an innovative and educational environment.
Programming efforts to support the mission include:
- Encourage, support and facilitate development of affordable spaces for artists to live and work
- Assist emerging artists with skill development to create viable art careers
- Offer affordable performance and exhibition space for artistic expression
- Share, investigate, create and access arts-based STEM Education for young adults
- Create a permanent facility and community to support experimental, fringe and new artworks and artists
- We believe in synergy — Artists from disparate backgrounds working together in proximity inspire each other.
- We believe in the artistic dividend — Arts are an essential element of the cultural economy that attract creative thinkers from other fields to our city.
- We believe in the transformative power of Art — Art can lead to healthy growth in marginalized communities
- We believe in cultural diversity — Arts can fortify existing communities and traditional cultures
- We believe in empowerment — Community design/build projects give artists control and connect them to their creations